Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Join the Club!



My friends and I once facetiously formed the “Too Busy Club,” where to qualify for membership you had to miss at least three meetings in a row, or you weren’t busy enough to be a member. 


Young people have full agendas with classes, careers, causes and relationships as they start out to build independent lives. Our culture offers many pursuits that keep young professionals and students running at full throttle.


Retirees complain that they are busier now than they ever were while working.  As people age, their pace slows down a bit, so time actually does shrink for people. The 20 seconds it used to take to tie one’s shoes now takes 40 seconds. Such subtle changes occur without people really realizing when their days got shorter.

I have more than 100 unread email messages at the end of every workday if I don't keep up with the constant flood of messages. And that is separate from my home email box, where another copious quantity of messages awaits me at the end of each day. When we first embraced email, it was supposed to make life easier or more efficient. It started out as fun, exciting, and unique. Now it's overwhelming. 

So every morning (I am a morning person), I start with my biggest priorities: prayer, exercise, and checking in with family. And a healthy breakfast. It's a great way to start! Then if the day overwhelms me and the clock cries, "It's bedtime!" I know that I got the important things included in the day. And no one knows how many days we get! So we better make the best of them.

Enjoy today!

No comments:

Post a Comment