Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Time to get back into things!

I recently had reason to reread Stephen Covey’s chapter describing the urgent vs. the important. If you haven’t read Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, I really recommend it!

Sometimes I put too much on my plate because I get stuck in the tyranny of the urgent. Someone else needs something immediately. I jump to meet their needs.  

I have discovered that when I say I am “too busy” for something, it means that I have not prioritized time for it. Rather than say, “I’m too busy!” it’s more honest for me to say, “You know, I just have not prioritized that particular thing high enough on my list right now to allow me to complete it.”

I think this blog fell into that category. I was just not prioritizing it over the last many months. It is okay. I was engaged in other things like quilting and visiting friends and family.  We don’t have to engage in every hobby, career-building activity or social engagement all the time.  We are allowed seasons. We don’t have to try to do everything at once. 

As I struggle to re-prioritize, it helps me when I  measure the current event against the long-term goal. I find myself backsliding, too, into the urgent demands that tempt me to displace what is important. It’s an ongoing journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment